September 19, 2008

Lullaby...and Goodnight...GASP! Charlotte's Web

Last night we were serenaded to the sounds of the Music Builds Tour, featuring Third Day, Switchfoot, Jars of Clay and Robert Randolph & the Family Band. Ahh...the joys of living a hop skip from The Verizon Wireless Music Center-Birmingham. Well, actually it's a bit farther than a hop skip...but you'd be amazed at how sound travels in our neck of the woods.

If you sit on our front porch, you can actually hear the words of the songs. It's actually pretty neat...free concerts all year! As you may or may not know, I grew up about 2 streets over from where O and I live now...and I remember sitting on our back porch on night's there were concerts and singing along! It's kind of neat to be back in those memories again. O doesn't really get it, so he could care less. All he was worried about was when they were going to end so he could get some sleep. 4am comes early when Switchfoot is jamming in your front yard!


So, after I finished up some things I had to do around the house, I decided I was going to go out on the front porch and listen for a bit. At the time I wasn't sure who was even there in concert, but the beat sounded nice! I planned to sit outside and listen to a set, sipping my evening tea...(since our honeymoon I'm all about afternoon/evening tea) before going to bed. As I walked out onto the front porch, but unbeknownst to me...I was greeted with this frightening sight...


Although this is what it looked like, this isn't the actual spider, but might as well be. (And there was really only one)...but the web was MUCH bigger than my head, and he almost had me for dinner. If Tas hadn't run out without his collar on and forced me to chase after him, I would've been spider munchies for sure!!

Naturally I screamed bloody murder, ran inside and yelled at O to come kill the spider. He was having none of it - it was bedtime after all - and my screaming sent Tas into a tailspin which he had to get under control, so I decided I would take charge!

I grabbed the only thing I could find - a giant can of Raid - and set out on my mission. I opened the front door and stood as far back as I could and aimed at the beast!! I think I used about half the can. Not because it wasn't working, but because I hate spiders that much.


As the spider literally shriveled up and floated to the ground with a string of its web hanging from its butt, I sat and stared at it, suddenly feeling really bad for killing the poor beast. I thought about how it really probably meant no harm. And in fact I'm sure it would've captured a lot of icky bugs in its massive web.

But then I thought about Charlotte and her web, and all the icky little bitty baby spiders that the massive spider hanging from our house could make, and I suddenly felt ok about the whole thing.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home