New Year, New Beginnings
Side note - I've had puzzling questions about the Squirrel post. I'm sorry if I confused you! It was a very random thought I had that day, and I posted it to get you thinking. Do you fear anything? Besides bugs and stuff? What have you done to conquer that fear?
Ok - side note done.
We don't really make "New Year's Resolutions" in our house. They are impossible to keep, and remind me more of "Hallmark Holiday's" than anything worthwhile. The only real "resolution" I guess you could say we've made is to try to continue to better ourselves, continue on our path to be better Christians, grow in our walk with Christ, and to be a better witness to everyone we come in contact with. That in itself is difficult, and constantly requires us to keep each other in check.
Last year we made a concerted effort to take time each day to pray together. I guess if that were a "resolution," we succeeded. It's now a regular occurrence in our house, and we feel quite lost when we forget. Our effort this year is to take time to read the Bible together each day. Starting at the beginning. And hopefully finishing before the end of the year.
Last year we bought a children's storybook Bible - really for no other reason than it was at the bookstore and kind of jumped out at us while we were there. I started reading it randomly last year. It's actually really neat. It is truly in storybook form, and tells the entire story of the Bible from start to finish in chronological order. It puts it all in a perspective that my 'baby' Christian mind can understand. I mean, I'm not really totally new to this, but I have a lot to learn. And this version is very helpful. And it will be a staple bedtime story when we have children. (There are a million different versions, but I'll find out who wrote ours and post it, in case you're interested).
So, in our new effort to read the Bible everyday, we are reading from this children's storybook version, a couple of chapter's per night. Hopefully it will stick like our prayer plan did.
On another note, most people tend to look for continuity in their lives, don't want anything to change, comfortable where they are, etc. We are prayerfully hopeful that this year will bring about many changes in our lives.
With that, we would ask that you pray with us this year for our effort to continue to seek and follow God's timing in our lives. We love this verse from Proverbs 16:9 - "A man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps" - I have it plastered on our refrigerator door.
We both have a great need to look at this daily, especially when we feel stalled out, or are looking for things to change and they don't happen the way WE think they should. And after referencing this verse, we realize that things are not going to happen because WE want them to.
One thing we've talked with many of you about, is that we are ready to have children. Or at least we feel we are ready - you're never "really" ready, are you!!? This really shouldn't surprise you. If you know me at all, you know I'm a magnet for babies and children, and I would most times prefer their company to that of adults. And Owen is actually very ready too, though he may not admit it to you!
For many other reasons than I'll post here, my maternal instincts are running rampant, and I'm getting discouraged already. But every time I get discouraged, I remember that verse, and remember that it's not happening, because it's not TIME for it to happen yet!!
Rather than ask that you pray we are 'successful,' I ask that you pray for God to make known his timing and plans for us in the parenting department. I know that may sound like a strange prayer, but we don't like to pray for God to provide specific things, we prefer to pray for his will to be done.
Hardly anyone I know is very open about their plans, rather, attempts, to become parents. I'm sure mostly due to the emotional toll it can take when you are unsuccessful, and for many that's a private time. But we feel this is something we want to share, so that you can help pray and support us during the process. Of course we'll mostly keep things private, but we are officially trying, and I'm sure it will be a roller coaster. And rather than keep it to ourselves, I prefer to have all the support we can get! And no, we are not currently pregnant!
There are many other things that we have on our "course" for this year. A few that I cannot discuss at the moment. Gotta keep you on the edge of your seat! But for those items, we just pray that God will determine our steps, and lead us down the path that He sees fit. Hopefully in a few more months we'll be able to share more.
I know it's a little late, but we wish you a very Happy 2009, and pray that God's Will will be done in your life as well.
Post a Comment