Lucky Number 13
At 1:36a this morning, we welcomed our precious baby girl, Sayla Grace, into the world. She weighs 1 pound, 11 oz, and is doing as well as a 27 week old baby can do. I am feeling fine, just letting the effects of the epidural and other meds wear off, and trying to catch up on sleep. Owen is doing well too, just nervous and anxious for our little girl.
My water broke around 11p on Monday night. I had random contractions, but nothing major. I then started having pretty regular contractions yesterday afternoon, and they were able to calm them down with some different meds. The meds made me feel like I was drunk as a skunk and I really didn't like them at all. At one point I told them I'd rather suffer through the contractions than have those meds again. But as we got into the evening, my body started taking over. It started telling us all that something was not right with my body, and the baby would be better off outside the womb. At that point it was too late for any meds to stop them.
The contractions were excruciatingly painful. And as the night went on, they got worse and worse. Around 1am I was around 4.5-5cm dilated and 100% effaced. The nurse called the doctor, who started heading to the hospital. It's a good thing she lives 13 miles away and was able to get here so quickly.
They called in the anesthesiologist, and he came and set up his work station. In between my contractions, the nurse was able to sit me up (much to my chagrin), and the anesthesiologist worked very quickly. I had 2 contractions while I was sitting up, and right after he got the epidural in (and pumped some pretty strong meds through), I said to the nurse "This baby is coming"
She replied, "I know sweetie, I know." And I told her (or rather screamed at her) "No you don't! I mean it! She is coming...NOW!!! I have to lay down!!"
I think she got the point, and she let me lie down. One very small push later and there she was! Pink as could be, and she let out the sweetest, most tiny cry you've ever heard. It sounded like a little cat.
We didn't get to hold her (and still haven't yet), because they started working on her right away, helping her breathe and getting her cleaned up a bit.
We got to visit her around 630a this morning. She is so tiny, but so beautiful. She's still very pink in color, and has a head full of dark hair. She's hooked up to all sorts of contraptions, including a tiny ventilator and lots of IV's and meds. It's hard to see her, because her little bed is wrapped in saran wrap (literally!). I've taken some pictures, but you really can't see her in them because the saran wrap gets in the way. As soon as I can get some good pictures, I'll post them for sure.
She scored a 6 and then a 7 on her APGAR test, which was very encouraging. Some full term babies don't score that high. They typically do one more APGAR test on preemies, but we haven't gotten that number yet.
Her breathing was improving already. When they first hooked her up to the vent, it was breathing for her 40 times a minute. By the time we got there at 6:30, it was only breathing for her 17 times a minute!!
We only got to stay for a few minutes, as it was about to be shift change. Owen and I can visit almost any time, but everyone else has limited hours. Even though all you can do is sit and stare at her, we'd like to keep her visits to a minimum during these first critical days. She needs her rest, and she can hear and sense your presence, and she starts getting fidgety.
The first 72 hours are the most critical for her, as her organs learn to function outside of my womb. Her head has some extra blood vessels in it, as her brain is still developing. There is a very high risk that she will have swelling in her brain, which is what causes birth defects like Cerebral Palsy. They say if that is going to happen, it most likely will happen within 72 hours. So we ask that you pray specifically for no swelling and stabilization over the next 72 hours.
Then we will take it day by day, as we have been for the last 12 days. Our little angel was born on the 13th day here...our lucky number 13. Up until that point, she defied all odds, and surprised everyone. She will have to be here until my due date - October 25th - unless by about the 34th, 35th week she is doing extremely well, then she might be able to come home then.
She is tiny, but she is beautiful. The Lord created her to accomplish great things in her tiny little life, and we are excited and anxious to see how He uses her for His Kingdom.
Post a Comment