September 10, 2009

Shots and Kangaroos

I'm sorry it's been a few days since the last update! Always assume that no news is good news when you don't hear from us.

We have both officially gone back to work while we wait for our precious angel to come home. It's extremely hard on both of us, but we're making it. Hence the reason I haven't had time to update the blog lately. By the time we get home at night...maybe grab a bite to eat...it's time to turn around and take the 30 minute trek to the hospital. I'll be so thankful when I don't have to see the sprawling Birmingham skyline at night.

Itty Bit is doing well. Yesterday she had her DTaP vaccination. This is for Diptheria, Tetanus & Pertussis (Whooping Cough). Normally she wouldn't get it for 2 more weeks (at 8 weeks old), but since she tested positive for Whooping Cough, the Health Dept has recommended she receive it early. We were very nervous because there are lots of scary side effects, like fever, seizures and even brain damage. And since we've been living in a world where "rare" things seem to affect us, the shot scared us. But other than being very sleepy, she tolerated it well.

Her hematocrit levels are dropping again, so she'll likely need another blood transfusion next week. They are waiting until next week for 2 reasons. First, to see if she's started making her own blood, and second, they have to wait for my blood to get there.

I gave blood for her yesterday (first time I've ever given blood)...The docs originally wanted Owen's blood, so that we could minimize the donors and her exposure, but Owen can't donate again until the 24th, and we need blood now. So we ran out to the Red Cross downtown to donate as fast as we could yesterday. They have to send the blood to Atlanta for processing, so we're in a holding pattern now, waiting to see if my blood can in fact be used.

In 2 weeks she'll get another bone density scan to check on her "Osteopenia of Prematurity." She currently has "brittle bones" because it is during the 3rd trimester that she would have received calcium from my body to help her bones grow. Since we didn't even make it a day into the 3rd trimester, she didn't get any of that extra calcium from me. They are giving her vitamins and supplements now, so that should be helping. And the scan in 2 weeks will tell us that.

She's up to 2lbs 11.6oz, the little porker! (That's 1235 grams!) Only 4.4ozs to go until she's 3lbs!! She's starting to look very different in the face, and her body is getting just a tad chubbier. She's still itty bitty, but I can tell a huge difference from day to day.

I've recently started "Kangaroo Care" with her. This is where they place the baby (wearing only her diaper) on my chest for skin to skin contact. It is a very special time for me, and I cherish every second of it. There are many benefits for her...

  • Normalize temperature, heart rate, and respiratory rate
  • The maternal contact causes a calming effect with decreased stress and rapid quiescence
  • Reduced physiologic and behavioural pain responses
  • Increased weight gain
  • Enhanced mother-infant bonding
  • Positive effects on infant’s cognitive development
  • Less nosocomial infection, severe illness, or lower respiratory tract disease
  • Restful sleep
  • Earlier discharge
  • Possible reduced risk of sudden infant death
  • Normalized infant growth of premature infants
  • May be a good intervention for colic
  • Possible positive effects in motor development of infants

Now that she's over 1200 grams, we can hold her twice a day! That excites me to no end! I can't wait until we can hold her every time we visit with no time limit. I can't even begin to describe the feeling that comes over me when our "time is up" and the nurses take her from me. Some days I wish I could just run with her in my arms as fast as I can. But I know that's not best for her...I don't even have a car seat, so we wouldn't get far!!! (Kidding...I would never do that!) But now that she's starting to look more like a "term" baby, it's getting harder and harder to leave her there.

All in all she's doing well. Our prayers are continuing to be answered, and soon we'll have our little bugger home. That will be THE happiest day of my life.

Here's some pictures of Owen holding her for the first time this week.



0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home