Big Ole' Noggin
So what was supposed to be a routine 9 month check up for Sayla Grace today turned into a 3 hour ordeal at the hospital! (We were at the hospital because that's where her pediatrician is.)
Her check up went great. She weighs 15.2 pounds, is 25 inches tall and is right on track for a 6 month old (her adjusted age).
She got one shot and a finger prick and did great with each. Her ear infections have cleared up completely.
The only issue came when they measured the circumference of her head. First the nurse did it, and wrote it on her chart. Then the doctor came in and measured it again. She never does that, but I just figured she was just double checking.
As we were talking about everything, she mentioned that her little noggin was growing a tad bit faster than the rest of her body. It has gone from being in the 3rd percentile (for a 6 month old) to the 25th percentile - in 3 months.
She said we shouldn't be concerned, but that since her "soft spot" was still open (which is normal), she wanted to send her down for an ultrasound of her head just to check things out. If her soft spot was closed, the next step would be a CT scan, which would require sedation.
The good news is that she's not so concerned that she would've ordered a CT scan. If that was needed, she said we'd just follow up and keep a watch on her. But like I said, her soft spot was open enough that I think we got what we needed from the ultrasound.
So after our appointment, we trucked down to the first floor and registered. While waiting she napped in her stroller, and I munched on some peanut butter crackers. And prayed.
Once again, I was strangely comforted as I sat there. I had the same peace that I had while I was in the hospital trying to keep her from being born. (Philippians 4:7)
Soon our buzzer went off and one of the ultrasound techs had come to get us. We were led back to a room with a bed and ultrasound machine. I laid her down, and they put the gel on her head and started.
She was so funny during the whole thing! She just stared at the screen and laughed at the girls doing the scan. I think she's used to seeing her baby sister on that screen because she's been to all of my ultrasounds!
I watched the screen very closely while they were scanning. Having no clue what I was looking at, it looked pretty normal to me. It looked just like a picture of a brain...all squiggly and stuff. It was actually kind of neat to see. I didn't see anything that looked "abnormal" or like it didn't belong, but again, I have no clue what I was looking at.
It didn't take long once we were in there. They "took some pictures" of her brain and tried their best to clean the gel out of her hair when they were finished.
By the time we finished, it was her lunch time, so we hung around for a bottle and then headed home. And now she's sleeping soundly after our busy morning!
We should get the results back either tomorrow or Wednesday, and the doctor will call us to let us know what they are. Then we'll go back in 4 weeks to check the circumference of her noggin again, and be sure it's growing on schedule or at least at the same rate.
To be honest, I don't think it's anything. Owen has a big ole' noggin, and as a preemie, she's going to grow at a different rate than full term babies. She's not shown any signs of anything being wrong, and is functioning normally in all areas. There's not a single area that she's lacking.
But it's still hard to hear something like that. So we just ask that you remember all of us in your prayers, especially Sayla Grace. She is such a little angel and the sweetest baby! I hate to think of anything being wrong with her, so even though I feel good about it, I still need some prayer.
Please pray for a perfect head and brain, nothing extra and nothing missing. Pray for perfect development and growth of her brain, head and the rest of her body. And pray for strength and understanding for Owen, myself and our family.
I will keep you updated as to the results as soon as we know something.
On the Baby Sister front, we go tomorrow (Tuesday) for an ultrasound to check the length of my cervix (which you'll remember has shortened a bit). Those results will determine our next step, but I'll keep you posted on that too!
Thank you for your prayers! I know that is what is giving me the strength and peace that I have right now!
Praying for you Jessica! If it makes you feel better, all of the Miranda girls' babies have big heads=off the charts even. I know with preemies they have to check anything abnormal thoroughly, but I'm confident she just takes after Owen! Thanks for keeping us posted on everything.
Jill said... 10:04 PM, April 26, 2010
Praying for you as well!
*Crystal* said... 12:42 PM, April 27, 2010
Post a Comment