We're Still Here!
I feel like it has been absolutely forever since I last updated. Sorry to keep you all in suspense! Nothing major is going on with us right now...just keeping very busy with school and work.
We are officially entering month 4 of "Baby Blessings" (that's what I'm calling it anyway), and have had no such luck. But alas, it's not our decision when that blessing will come...so we are continuing to pray about it and remembering our "Words to Live By" (see top of blog). Patience has become my middle name. Not officially anyway, but I will answer to it!
In January we attended our share of events. First we had little LC's 2nd birthday party. That was a blast and I'm sad that I didn't take my camera. I'll need some pics from LC's Momma! It was "LC's Sweet Shoppe" theme, and the cutest little person's birthday party I've been to in a long time! The children all had an abundance of candy ~ which I'm sure the other parents LOVED when they went home! And each child had their own gingerbread house to decorate! It was such a cute idea! The pinata didn't work out as planned (pull string, not whack!) and the string broke off without the candy falling out. The cute part was that when Aunt Christy finally got the candy to fall out, there were children standing directly under it, and they got showered with sweets! Think of that commercial where it's raining shoes (my dream!) and change it to 2-3 year olds and it's raining candy. Ahh to be 2 again!!
We also attended a "Walk Through the Old Testament" seminar at church. I had a blast! Owen got a little bored, but did say that he learned alot. In this seminar, we learned how to act out in less than three minutes - 77 people, places and events in order of the entire Old Testament using hand motions. It was very educational. Although it did take 5 hours to learn, we were constantly up and down and moving around, so the time flew by. I hope they have a Walk Through the New Testament seminar soon. I'll def attend! If you hear of this coming to a church near you, I highly recommend participating!
Owen had his first experience helping me with the munchkins at Children's Church. We figured he'd better get some baby time in before he has one of his own! After getting him through the security clearance, he joined me for my January session. The kids LOVED him! They flocked to him, and made him read books over and over again. At first he didn't understand that they actually wanted him to read the words, and he was just pointing to the pictures...they were having none of it! They kept throwing the book in his lap and saying "Ree...Ree" After he actually read the book to them, they were quite happy! Here's to hoping he'll return for the March session!
At the end of January I embarked on my second hunting trip of my life. Me, Owen and Granddaddy Johnny went to Macon County for the last official day of deer season. After getting settled in the shooting house, I broke out my yarn, crochet needle and instruction book.
I've decided to teach myself how to crochet. When I was little, I used to sit on my Great Grandma TT's lap while she made me blankets. I still have them, and I cherish them. Mom says I remind her of TT (Maria Theresa to be exact...and you must say Theresa with an Italian accent (leave off the 'a') because she came to America from Italy as a child) We just called her Grandma TT for short. Anyway...I love daisies, used to hate Mexican food...TT loved daisies and thought Mexican food smelled like dirty feet...and on that note, we both hate for anyone to touch our feet, much less touch anyone else's. And TT used to make us blankets...big fluffy yarn blankets. So for some reason I got a wild hair to learn how to make them. So far so good...I've made about a half of a quarter of my first blanket. It's pink, and I'm going to try to add some white to it. Not sure who will get it yet...still debating that!
Anywho...back to the hunting - we sat there for a good while, and watched a momma doe and some little ones way far away from us in the field. Then out of nowhere came this nice 8 point. Owen whispered "There he is...that's him. Grab your gun" So I grab my gun and rest it up on the side of the lookout window, and aim. Then I got the shakes (apparently that's what happens)...and I couldn't keep the rifle steady. I have no issues shooting a gun, or the deer (see Genesis9:1-3 on hunting). I think it was just the whole "thrill of the hunt" that had me shaking. At least that's what O and Johnny say! I finally got to where I thought I was steady, and pulled the trigger. Woosh...that bullet flew by the deer's head going 9 million miles an hour, and landed in the field behind him about 200 yards away. Kicking up lots of dust in it's path. Which turned out to be a good thing. I didn't know how to reload quickly and quietly, so Owen said "Don't move" and grabbed his gun and sat down next to me. Meanwhile the deer was looking at the dust still settling 200 yards behind him, frozen. BAM! Owen got him with one shot. Which is not typical of Owen. For some reason when he shoots deer, it takes him a shot or two. Of course we only hunt if we need the meat. Owen loves deer meat...I haven't taken a liking to it yet. Need a good recipe I guess. But we've got a freezer full of it now if anyone needs some! I guess when this recession hits bottom we'll still have food to eat.
While we were gone hunting, Tas stayed with his little family - Rezi and Gabby. He also got Doggie Bronchitis at the end of January. It's just like people bronchitis, but his coughing sounded horrible. The worst was when he ran a fever and just shook for an entire day. He's feeling much better (still coughs occasionally) and is back to his old antics of eating 7 corn muffins off the stove. He was a bit gassy earlier this week from that adventure!!!
And now here we sit in February. This month will be busy as well...our best friend Lee is being ordained as a Deacon in our church this Sunday. We're so happy for him! And then on Tuesday I'm participating in my first ever Missions project!! We're providing a "Valentine's Meal" for the folks at UAB Medical Apartments. I'm so excited! I'm baking cookies. I think I'll bake a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Who doesn't like those!!
The idea of mission work has been weighing heavily on my heart lately for some reason. I feel a very strong desire to be heavily involved with mission work this year. Perhaps a reason why Baby Blessings have not been bestowed?! Only time and prayer will tell! Please pray for me in these areas that God's will and plan for us will be revealed!
And I promise not to keep you waiting so long for updates in the future!!!
I love it when LC makes the blog!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the party-we were glad to have you there. I've never been hunting, but the picture of you sitting in a little house off in the quiet woods crocheting (of course with hot tea and a crackling fire which were added in the version in my mind)sounds so cozy! I've been thinking of learning as well, but now only if I can sit by a crackling fire with hot tea and a cozy blanket. . .because its all romanticized in my head now!!
Anonymous said... 8:46 AM, February 09, 2009
Post a Comment