June 10, 2009

Zoobalie!

When Owen and I met, one of our first 'daytime' dates was a trip to the zoo. We had so much fun that day, that we try to go at least once a year. With wedding planning last year, we never made it, so we vowed to go back this year!

Because he went out of town for his birthday last month (on a guy's trip), he and I didn't get to really celebrate. So a few weekends ago, we packed up and headed to the zoo. I guess we didn't really pack anything since it was just the two of us...but you get the idea!

Going to the zoo on the first Saturday of the summer with no rain was not the brightest idea. First, it was HOT. Like sweltering. And second, it was a zoo...literally. There were probably 1,000 people there.

But we suffered through it and had a grand time. There wasn't really anything new, except the Kangaroo exhibit (which Owen loved!), and the Rhinos - they were kind of boring. And there were a few disappointments - the elephant must've been on vacation, because he was no where to be found. There were also some "red pigs" that smelled really bad. We didn't stay around them long.

A new feature they have (since the last time we went) was the Sea Lion show. Well, the show wasn't new, but the nice bleachers they have set up were. So at 2p we ventured over to the show to find a seat. My one complaint is that the seating area needs to be a bit more shaded. Or maybe if I wasn't with child it would've been ok. No one else seemed to mind, so it was probably just me.

And then I did something I swore I would never do at the zoo...I ate zoo food. {Gasp!} I really didn't have a choice. We went right during the lunch hour, and didn't eat beforehand, and I was STARVING!! So we found the most inconspicuous cafe - as far away from the animals as we could get - and an 'indoor' one, so I didn't have to smell red pigs while we ate. I played it safe with the chicken fingers and fries. I figured I couldn't go wrong with the frozen chicken and fries. And it turned out I was right. Zoo food's not that bad after all. I mean...don't get me wrong, it's not my first choice, but we were there, and I was about ready to eat the pig in the petting zoo.

All in all it was a very fun, hot day! I can't wait to take Sayla Grace there when she is old enough, and start a new family tradition!

Here's some snapshots of our adventure....

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home