July 18, 2009

Saving Grace

**First off, let me give you a warning. These next few posts are probably going to be more graphic and personal in nature than you're used to. But I have to assume that if you're reading this, you want more than just a simple, "Things are fine...I'm just lying here bored." You're here because you want to know what in the world is going on, and simple statements are not going to satify your curiosity and concern. You will learn more about my uterus and cervix than you ever wanted to know. But all my modesty went out the window when I checked in, so please forgive me. Also, typing while lying flat on my back is difficult, so I apologize for formatting and spelling errors.**

To catch you up, I'm 26 weeks pregnant with our first child, Sayla Grace. Due October 25th. I've had a textbook perfect pregnancy so far, only failing my gestational diabetes test. But on Friday, July 17th, everything about my pregnancy suddenly took a 180.

I felt fine Friday when I woke up. Before going to lunch Friday, I went to the bathroom as usual. Only it ended up unusual. I was bleeding. I immediately called the doctor, who instructed me to come to Labor and Delivery. Scared, but trusting, I drove myself to the hospital. Praying the entire way. I called Owen, and he met me here.

After getting in a room, putting on this awful gown, and lying in bed, the nurse came. She didn't seem concerned, as the bleeding had stopped, and I wasn't contracting. But she said they'd check things out just in case. She checked my cervix, and her whole tune changed. I was dialated. 1.5cm. Not good.

I was officially admitted, immediately started on a saline drip, and an ultrasound was ordered. In the meantime, the doctor came to see for himself. Sure enough...1.5cm. No effacement though, so that was good. And my water had not broken.

Then came the ultrasound. Our little booger was happy as a clam, but had assumed the position. She was ready to make her grand entrance. In addition, my "membranes were hourglassing" - basically my amniotic sak was trying to push through my cervix. Think about when you squeeze a water balloon, and one end poofs out of your hand like an hourglass. My admission for overnight observation turned into 6 to 8 days MINIMUM!

Monitors were hooked up, and the contractions started. A magnesium drip was started too, to stop the contractions. The first 30 minutes made me feel like I was on fire with the flu. After 30 minutes it got bettter, and now I'm used to it. Then came the catheter. And the pennicillin drip to fight any infection.

And the order to lie flat on my back, only turning on my sides when necessary. And now here we are. Officially a high risk pregnancy in pre-term labor.

Waiting. And trusting.

Sayla Grace and I are doing fine. We both feel fine and have good vitals. The contractions are lessening, but are still there. They don't hurt. I'm just sore all over from the uncomfortable bed and wires all over me. But I'm keeping my faith.

It's the only thing that has gotten me this far. Well, that and my awesome husband, whom I will be celebrating our 1st anniversay with tomorrow in this room. Not how we planned, but that's what our "Words to Live By" up top are all about.

This is all part of God's plan. He knew when He made her, that premature girls thrive better than premature boys. He knew when He named her that her name, meaning "to pause and reflect on God's gift" would be what gets us through the tough times. He knew that our little girl, in her smallest of states, would have the ability to change lives of those around her. It's all part of his plan.

And we are trusting Him to save our sweet Sayla Grace.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home