Sweet Tooth
I got the call this afternoon that I didn't want to hear. My sweet tooth has finally caught up with me.
On Tuesday we went for our monthly check-up, which included the ever so fun gestational diabetes screening. I had heard horror stories about the test...how nasty the drink is, how miserable it is to wait for an hour so they can then stick you with another needle...
But it turns out the test wasn't that bad. The drink tasted like Hawaiian Punch with some sugar added. And given the fact that I was starving, it was actually quite welcomed by my little nugget. The needle prick was bad, but not any worse than any other needle prick. And while we waited the hour for that needle prick, we got to hear the sweet SG's heartbeat - still 153 beats per minute! It has been at 153 every time I think!
We also got to put mommy on the scale and learn that I somehow managed to gain 17 pounds in one month. I'll wait while you pick your chin up off the floor.
Yes...you read that right...17 smackaroos in one short month. I didn't know that was humanly possible! But apparently I managed to pull it off. So I've gained 27 pounds total, and I still have 3 months to go. According to the doc, I've officially maxed out my weight gain allowance for the entire pregnancy. Woohoo!! Way to go me! I should get a prize or something.
But that's not how I felt when I left that appointment. I felt totally defeated. A horrible mother already. My seemingly harmless sweet tooth and lack of self control is putting my baby at risk. All these awful thoughts went running through my mind all afternoon.
After having a good cry, and a wonderful husband and mother to talk me down out of my pouting tree, I resolved to make some changes. I woke up early the next morning and went for a stroll on the treadmill. I ate Grape Nuts and fruit for breakfast, sushi (the cooked kind) for lunch, and a plate full of veggies (no butter or salt) for dinner. And today I have done the same (except a salad in place of the sushi). The treadmill stroll will come tonight, as I've determined that waking early is not good for my sanity.
So I'm feeling better about the whole thing, and today my phone rings:
"Jessica, this is Jennifer from Dr. Benton's office"
She needed say nothing more. I simply asked her what my score was, and when I could come back for my 3 hour appointment. Their threshold is 130, and I scored a whopping 148.
So I go back in on Monday for the 3 hour test...which consists of more Hawaiian Punch like juice, and 4 blood drawings. All after fasting. Needless to say I will be completely drained (literally) afterwards. And then I'll have to wait for the results. Which will be even more draining.
On the bright side, I seem to have a new body guard. More on him later....
Post a Comment