Better Day
Today has been a better day so far. Sayla Grace is settled in isolation, and is acting like her normal self. Here's what we know so far...
On Friday while I was visiting, things were eerily quite around the NICU. It was lunch time for most nurses, and all of the parents (except for those of 2 babies) happened to be visiting.
I started noticing some doctors and nurses come in that I had not seen before. I knew they didn't belong in the NICU. And to top it off, they were wearing surgical masks. I thought it was odd, but thought maybe one of them was coming ill, and wanted to be careful. Little did I know what was about to happen.
Suddenly all of the nurses were huddled outside of our pod at the nurses station. Chatting about something important.
My mom is a nurse (though no longer practicing), and used to work in a hospital with one of my friend's mom's. When we were little, and they would work the night shift, we would sometimes go with them...roam the halls and sleep in an empty room. At that age it was fun. But I learned that when things get quiet andblasé around a hospital, you should be very worried! And when nurses huddle...you should be even more worried!
Something was not right.
Then one of the nurses came around and handed everyone a surgical mask to wear. She simply said...very calmly I might add..."One of the parent's in another pod brought in Whooping Cough. Please wear this mask every time you visit." I half expected her to finish by saying "and thank you for flyingNICU airlines." That's how calm and almost fake cheerful she was.
So I put on my mask, got a bit claustrophobic, and went back to visiting with SGP. Her nurse came over and swabbed the inside of Sayla Grace's nose with a q-tip looking thing. Said they were testing all of the babies as a precaution, even though it started in another pod. A quick swab and a whimper from MissPriss (as she's come to be known by the staff), and she was done.
A short time later, another nurse came around...this one in a white lab coat that was not a NICU nurse. I'm still not sure what area of the hospital she's from. Infectious disease maybe?
Anywho...she came around giving all the parents a handout with info about "Pertussis" (aka Whooping Cough). I was the 3rd parent she came to. The first two just went about their business after talking to her, attending to their babies.
She handed me the sheet, and again told me that a parent brought it into another pod. That they had tested the babies in that pod, and at least 2 tested positive so far and were moved to isolation. That they were testing all of the babies. She told me there are two strains of the disease, and that they think they are dealing with the lesser strain, but they are treating it like they have the more severe one.
She told me that they had tested SGP, and that she tested positive.
I lost it. Started hysterically crying behind my mask. She hugged me. She explained they would move her into isolation, treat her with a 5 day course of antibiotics, as well as me, Owen and anyone who had visited within the last 7 days. I began writing down the names of the visitors through my tears.
Visiting hours were over at that moment, and I had to leave for 2 hours. In between sobs, I sang You Are My Sunshine to her again, as she rested quietly. They would move her into isolation during those 2 hours, and I would be back at 4p that evening.
I visited from 4-6p, went to dinner with Owen and mom, and Owen and I went back from 8-10p. We had a good visit. Sayla Grace seemed very comfy. She had 2 excellent nurses taking care of her, I got to wash her face during her bath, and sang to her while she slept.
Today she was doing great when I visited this morning. So far she has not showed any symptoms. At this stage, the symptoms are not actually coughing - cause she can't physically cough yet - it's more that her Brady episodes will increase, and she'll have more mucus secretions.
But so far so good. No increased Brady's, and she's been on her Nasal Cannula non-stop since Thursday. She's up to 6cc's on her feedings again, and she weighs 1lb 14.8oz. She's just resting quietly in her new room. It's quieter in there, and she's got a cute little neighbor that I'm assuming has Whooping Cough too, but I haven't met her parents yet.
Because it's quieter, she opens her eyes more, checking out her new digs. I actually do get to touch her still, but I limit myself just so she can rest.
She will stay in isolation for the 5 day course of antibiotics, and will then be tested again. Prayerfully she will be well. Although I'd kind of like for her to stay in isolation, because of the fear of her getting sick again.
Please continue to pray. Your prayers are felt every day. Today I felt that peace come over me again as I watched her sleep. And I know it is because of your prayers that it was caught early, and she is doing so well. We could never repay you for the good work you've done to help our daughter, but the Good Lord will one day.
Here are some pictures from today's visit...those big things on her cheeks are little pads to hold the Nasal Cannula in place. In this first one, she has learned how to pick up her head and turn to the other side. She's hugging a wash cloth that was folded in half...
Post a Comment