August 24, 2009

Party in My Crib!

We had a party in SGP's crib tonight! She has reached 2 pounds!!!

She's still doing well. Has some gunk in her throat tonight while I
was visiting, so the nurse had to "suction catheter" her. Basically
took a long skinny suction tube up her nose and down her throat to
clear her out. I couldn't watch. She hated it, and so did I. But she
needed it.

Afterwards she sneezed 8 times! It was the cutest thing E-VER!! I
wish I had it on video so I could share it with you guys. She gets so
worked up and takes a bunch of quick deep breaths, and then let's out
the most tiny sneeze you have ever seen. Think of a full term baby
sneezing and divide it by a thousand. Tiny!! But the gunk was gone,
so she felt better.

The gunk was just a result of the 2 feeding tubes in her throat and
her inability to clear saliva from her throat at this age.

Still showing no signs of Whooping Cough (WC). Her "iso-neighbor" will
be leaving tomorrow, and the other 2 in iso have finished their meds
and will be joining the other pod-mates in the next day or so. That
means SGP will be all by her lonesome. As a result (and mainly due to
staffing), they will probably move her back to the pod. Her meds
finish on Tuesday, so she is protected. Plus since the 4 babies that
caught WC are better, it should be gone.

But let's pray 2 prayers: One, that the WC is gone, and there are no
other illnesses out there; and two, that she gets to stay in isolation
for a bit longer, so she can put some meat on her bones and build up
her immune system a bit more before being reintroduced into the pods.

I know these are selfish prayers, but we're so on edge about her
contracting something else, and beating this current "yucky" that our
nerves are getting the best of us. We don't do well on the downhill
section of the roller coaster, but our faith is getting us through.

Tonight I read to her from The Complete Works of Winnie the Pooh. She
enjoyed hearing about Pooh's trials in attempting to get the "hunny"
from the tree.

Tomorrow we'll see if Pooh was successful...

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home