September 3, 2009

Let There Be Sight...and Some New Digs

When Sayla Grace gets bigger, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle her doctor visits when she has to get shots. Yesterday, to prepare for her eye exam, she had to get 3 eye drops in her eyes, and I almost lost it. She was not a happy camper, and has an amazing ability to squeeze her eyes shut so tight it almost required two people to open them for the drops.

After the drops, (which were put in to dilate her eyes for the exam) and the army it took to get them in, her eyes were super swollen and red. And she was none too happy about it. And neither was I.

I stayed as long as they would let me, to calm her down (and to calm myself down!) and then went to run a few errands before the next set of visiting hours. During that time she got her exam.

When I got back, the nurse explained how they do the exam...the doctor has a tiny instrument that holds her eye lids open. Then he uses another tiny instrument directly on her eyeball to hold it still. You see, her eye muscles are not strong enough to hold her eyes still on her own - they go in every direction, and sometimes not at the same time! So once her eyes are still, the doc uses another tool to look into the back of her eyes at her retinas.

And then we got the report...she does NOT have ROP!!!! Praise the Lord!! At least not at the moment. She is still at risk for developing it, so she'll have another exam in 2 weeks just like this one.

She is improving on her Brady episodes - only about 2 or 3 a day, but she still has swings in her O2 levels. This is normal for her age/size. Which by the way is 2lbs 7oz and 14.5in long!! She's gained a pound and an ounce since her lowest weight of 1lb 6oz, and an entire inch in her length since her birth!!!

Since she's doing better with her Brady's and her desats are manageable, she's got some new digs!! Today when I went to visit, she was in an isolette!! This is a step up from the open bed that she was in. An isolette (aka an incubator) is a fully covered bed with 4 holes for our arms. This bed has better temperature control - so her body temp can be controlled better, and is quieter. Once babies her size get in this bed, they grow, grow grow!! Something about the regulated temp and quietness. I think because it gives them more uninterrupted sleep. And sleep equals growth.

And the most fun for me about her new little house, is that she can WEAR CLOTHES!!! I've got a basket of miniature preemie clothes that I'm taking up to her tonight. I can't wait to pick out her first "outfit" for her!!!

Her room at home is coming together slowly but surely. After a near loss of one of the dressers on the way home (it almost fell out of the back of the truck when we were getting off the interstate!), we got it all home safely. I put the crib and the hutch together (by myself!!!) and got her bed made. The 2 dressers are too heavy to bring in the house without a furniture dolly, so we will get those in the house and put together when we can get the dolly from Granddaddy Johnny's house. I'll post pictures of her nursery once it's finished!

Here's some single pictures, for those that aren't able to see the slide shows. And below the single pics is a slide show of the latest round of pics. The isolette pictures haven't been uploaded yet...so you'll have to wait just a bit to see those! Sorry!!









0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home