September 15, 2009

We Have a 3 Pounder!!

We're doing very well this week! Sayla Grace now weighs 3lbs 4.2ozs and is continuing to thrive!

She is slowly but surely making her own blood, and as of this post has not required any extra blood. They checked her hematocrit levels on Monday, and while low at 26.2, she's not been symptomatic. And her "retic" levels are at 3.1, right in the middle of the 2.5-6.5 range, meaning she is producing her own blood.

But just to be sure, they will check her levels again on Thursday, and should she be worse she'll get her 5th transfusion. This time with my blood.

Her Brady's have slowed to 1 or 2 a day. A product of the increased dosage of caffeine she's on. And she occasionally drops her O2 sats, requiring just a smidge of oxygen. Otherwise she almost always stay's on room air.

She has her second eye test tomorrow (Wednesday). This is to again check for Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP). Her last check 2 weeks ago revealed she didn't have it, but there is still time for it to develop. Please be in prayer that she still does not have it!

And in the next week she'll have another bone density scan to check on her "Osteopenia of Prematurity" --basically brittle bones. Babies get calcium from their mommies in the 3rd trimester, so she got cheated out of that, resulting in her brittle bones. She's getting extra calcium in her food to help with that, along with extra vitamins.

Speaking of food, she's eating 28cc's every 3 hours, coupled with 30 calories per feeding. Since there are 30cc's in an ounce, she's getting roughly 7 ounces a day (if I did that math right!!). And so far I've been able to keep up with her, but I'm worried that as she gets bigger I'll have some trouble. Time and prayer will tell!

Overall she's doing great! Still no talk of bottle feeding or going to the crib, but I suspect we'll start once a day bottle feedings within the next 2 weeks or so. We'll see!!

I've got her room almost ready. Just need some decorations and it will be complete. I can't wait to see her in her pretty pink bedding and all cozy in her crib.

And I long for the day when I can rock her to sleep in her own room!! Hopefully not too much longer!!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home