October 5, 2009

Headaches

I'm hoping our baby girl doesn't get bad headaches this week. Why you ask???

Well they have officially discontinued the caffeine!!! Ever since she was born, she has been on medical grade caffeine to help her keep her heart and breathing rate up. A little different than food grade caffeine, the medical grade kind gives her a little boost and reminds her little brain to do big jobs, like making her heart beat, and making her breathe.

As she's gotten bigger, they have increased her dosage to keep up with her size. And while she would occasionally have a Brady episode, her Apnea episodes were few and far between. But she hasn't had either since the 24th of September!!!

Last week the doctor mentioned decreasing her dosage, but before the words were even out of his mouth, the little rascal desatted - slowed her breathing down and therefore was getting less oxygen. While she quickly bounced back up, it obviously made the doc leery about decreasing the meds that made this not happen...so in his next breath, he said, "On second thought, I'm going to increase her dosage."

I went from being on cloud 9, to the ground in a heartbeat. But, I knew it was for the best, and that God would show his timing when we least expected it.

Because I was so upset about her getting more, I didn't ask about it again. Then last night, her nurse just casually mentioned, "Oh yeah, they stopped her caffeine today!"

I was so excited!! Just when we least expected it, another prayer has been answered! But we still need prayers in this area. We need to pray that she does not have any Brady or Apnea episodes since coming off of the caffeine.

I'm told it will take 2-3 days to get out of her system completely, so it will be a few days before we see if her body is going to pick up the slack and work on its own. Please be in constant prayer about this. This is the biggest hurdle to get over to come home.

Before she's allowed to come home, she must have 8 days of no episodes while off of the meds. I'm not sure that our countdown officially begins today though, because she also has to be on all bottle feedings. And right now she's only taking 3 a day.

She needs 4 more a day, each taken completely (35cc's) in 15 minutes in order to pass this milestone. So I guess we have 2 hurdles to jump...no more episodes, and 4 more bottles.

Let's PRAY PRAY PRAY that she just surprises everyone and starts taking those bottles like a champ!! Help us use the power of prayer to surprise everyone and have her home well before my due date (October 25th).

In other news, my fabulous friends threw me an absolutely marvelous baby shower yesterday! I had so much fun and it was so great to finally get to just hang out with everyone, and not feel rushed to be somewhere. We received lots of wonderful gifts!! This child will be very well dressed for the next year or two!!

I'll post pictures of her and the shower later...

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home