At Home Bed Rest – Day 1 and 2
This is a portion of the blog you may find quite boring. But I’m keeping a record of my bed rest…mainly for my own amusement. And so I can have one more thing to look forward to each day.
They discharged me from the hospital on Monday. It was quite a fiasco, and I almost had to stay another night. But thanks to my mother, and a nurse that understood my frustrations, I was finally able to leave around 3p.
I was supposed to leave around 1p, but the at home contraction monitor that was supposed to be mine, had gotten comfy on the FedEx truck and didn’t want to come home with me.
Long story short, the FedEx man didn’t leave the package that contained my monitor at the home health office because there was no one there to sign for it when he arrived. So when the home health nurse arrived to pick it up, there was no monitor to be found.
Upon my doctor finding out about this, she ordered that I be held hostage until the monitor was in my hands. Which potentially meant another night there.
I was devastated. Trying to hold back my tears, thus surely preventing labor, I called mom and told her what was happening. She hung up on me to call the home health company. Getting the right person on the phone, she demanded they find me a monitor, and that they find it today. (She knows how to handle home health people!)
So the home health nurse called FedEx, got the cell number for said FedEx driver holding my monitor hostage and caught up with him at an office close to theirs.
She chased him down, got my monitor off the truck and came to my rescue. After a brief demonstration and some paperwork, 2 hours later I was finally able to leave!! Thanks to Mom, Kelly (the home health nurse) and the mystery FedEx man for allowing Kelly to take the package!!!
(Sorry, that wasn’t really a short story!)
On the way home, mom and I opened all the windows and the sun roof, and I reclined in the front seat and enjoyed our short commute to Owen’s dad’s house.
This is our new home for the next 3 months. Well, it’s mine and Bitty’s new home. Owen will be at our house many nights so he can continue to work (it’s much closer to his beat than his dad’s house is.)
We got here, and I plopped myself down on the couch and got comfy. For dinner we had grilled chicken, grilled veggies and corn on the cob! It was the best meal I’ve had in at least a week! And it was fabulous for my diabetes. My sugars haven’t been that low after a meal since they started checking them! (Exhilarating I know!)
I got to watch all kinds of different shows – other than TLC. And most importantly got to play and interact with SG for more than an hour at a time!! I even got to feed her dinner!
After dinner I completed my first at home contraction monitoring session. I have to monitor for an hour in the morning, an hour in the evening and any other time I feel like I might be contracting a bunch. After I submit my “strip” of hour monitoring, the nurse calls to let me know what they found, and she lets me know if I need to be doing something different.
During that session, I only had one tiny little contraction, but the nurse wasn’t concerned. So off to bed we went, and I slept like I’ve never slept before! (We lived here while our house was being remodeled, so I am already used to sleeping here).
This morning I moved from the bed to the couch, and I’ve been here all afternoon. Finally able to watch The Food Network (my standard during the day!), I’ve been relaxing all day. I’m starting to get bored already, so I’m trying to think of fun things to do while lying on the couch!
The internet just today got up and running, so I’ll be able to get my work done, and look up some fun things to do while on bed rest. Feel free to leave me suggestions!!
Until next time…
I read Perez Hilton and DListed every day. DListed my be a little risque for your taste, but I think he's funny :) Thanks for the packing suggestions! Would you believe I don't have slippers? I need to shop! Keep on updating us!
Samantha said... 3:41 PM, June 08, 2010
Post a Comment