June 10, 2010

At Home Bed Rest - Day 3 (& A Doctor's Visit)

So yesterday (Day 3 of bed rest) was a fairly eventful day in the realm of bed rest. After getting up for breakfast and a quick hour of contraction monitoring, we headed off to my weekly doctor visit with Dr. B.

It was nice to get out of the house and enjoy some fresh, hot, muggy Alabama air! I sat in the back with Sayla Grace, which was nice, given that's where I usually sit when someone else is driving. We talked and laughed and played on our short trip up to the hospital (where Dr. B. is).

We had to wait a while, because I was a work in, but I just propped my feet up and got comfy. As usual we made some new friends courtesy of Sayla Grace's cuteness, and finally it was my turn.

I got a great report from the doctor. I'm still 1cm dilated, but she said things were better than last week! I told her I've been having 1-2 contractions during my night monitoring sessions, and she was none too pleased. So she gave me a prescription for "emergency" brethine (which stops contractions in their tracks) and told me if I ever start having more than 2 in an hour to pop a pill. That drug makes me feel very jittery and restless, and makes the baby jump around a lot, but it sure does work. I haven't had to take one yet, but I've had shots of that med before, so I'm used to it.

My doc is headed to the beach this weekend, and in all honesty, I think she was a little worried that I'd start heavily contracting while she was trying to enjoy a relaxing vacay, which is sure to spoil her weekend! So emergency brethine it is!

After finishing at the doc, we stopped off at Ms. Klingler's Bakery to pick up some chicken salad for lunch, and came home and had some yummy sandwiches.

And then I resumed my position on the couch.

Later I fed the baby some squash and a bottle, watched Ellen and America's Got Talent that night. I started reading Jodi Picoult's House Rules and got through chapter 1, which is a major accomplishment for me - reading for pleasure. As of today, I'm on chapter 3. It's got like 500+ pages, so it'll be with me a while!

I'm starting to get used to being bed/couch bound, but I still feel like a worthless teenager who refuses to get off the couch. I do manage a daily shower and complete primping session (it makes me feel better about myself!), and savor the moments that I can hold, feed and interact with Sayla Grace.

The hardest part about the whole thing is when she cries, I am unable to console her because I can't pick her up. She doesn't like to be held and semi rocked while on the couch, and the rocker is just too vertical for me to sit in and support her at the same time. The fortunate thing is that she doesn't know the difference (that it's not me rocking her), and she has become quite fond of her Grandmomma Joyce (GJ). For which I am incredibly grateful. It makes the fussy times easier for me to handle. GJ has become her "person" of choice, and it's so cute to see SG get upset when she leaves the room. And I'm told that when they are out, she clings to GJ and won't let anyone hold her without some coercion!

Whenever those fussy times happen, I just say a little prayer, and remember that SG is more than well taken care of, and that I have a responsibility towards her sister, that only I have control over.

No one else can help me keep her in my belly (physically speaking). With that in my arsenal of thoughts, I can handle just about anything that's thrown at me while I'm stuck on the couch and feeling helpless.



0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home