Avery Update
We had our weekly appointment this morning to check on Avery. My doctor's exact words when she walked in were "O-M-G YOU'RE STILL PREGNANT!!!" I think she is more shocked than anyone that I've made it this far (32 weeks as of Monday). She said it's a real testimony to science. I responded that it's a real testimony to God!
Nothing has changed with me, and I was directed to continue doing whatever it is that I'm doing to stay pregnant. Which is basically nothing. Just lying around all day!
She also said I'm the poster child for Gestational Diabetes. Even with Metformin twice a day, (meds to help my body know what to do with the insulin it produces), my blood sugar is still all over the board. But since we're so close, she doesn't want to make any changes to my meds. I have discovered that I cannot have any bread products, save for a few whole wheat crackers (like Wheat Thins).
We've decided that it's highly possible I was diabetic before getting pregnant with Sayla Grace, and that it compounded my pregnancy issues. She said I would've easily fallen through the cracks, being a "small, white female" (her words, not mine) and no doctor would've ever thought to check me. And I never thought to ask. So after Avery is born, we'll keep a close watch on things to see if I develop Type 2 Diabetes. I'm hoping with my diet and exercise I can keep it away.
We'll have a regular weekly appointment next week (33 weeks), then at 34 weeks we'll start getting ultrasounds again. This time to check on Avery's weight, since a side effect of the diabetes is extra weight gain for the baby. I can't wait to see her again! We got ultrasounds so frequently in the beginning, I miss seeing her now!!
At 35 weeks (the week of Sayla Grace's 1st birthday) we'll stop all my medicine (except maybe the Metformin, I'm not sure). I'll then continue the bed rest until she decides to make an appearance. Could be a day after the meds are stopped, could be a week, could be a month. No one really knows.
All I know is that it's a good thing she'll sleep in the pack-n-play in our room for a few weeks, because we haven't even picked up her crib yet!!! And I've got to rearrange their room, and...gosh there's so much to be done, but I can't do any of it!! I've not been to our house since May 28th!! I sure hope my hubby is keeping it semi clean! I may need to send in a maid before we get home! I'm going to be one busy momma when she's born.
Sayla Grace is growing like a weed. She's sleeping all the time, seemingly growing! She looks bigger to me every day, and she definitely weighs more. I'm guessing around 17 pounds. She's outgrowing her infant car seat, and trying her best to learn to crawl.
She can get up on all 4's and rock, but then quickly face plants when her arms get tired. She happily plays on the floor all day, and loves any type of animal that comes her way - especially Ralph and Fred...the deer hanging on the wall! She talks to them every day.
She is going to love having a baby sister, because she MUST have someone with her at all times. She hates being alone unless she's sleeping. I'm positive they will be fast friends.
She had her first taste of what I call real solid food over the weekend. She ate some peas and watermelon - not mashed. She did great with them, and I'm sure she'll be eating more solids soon.
Here's a couple of pics from the 4th...



Wow, Sayla Grace gets more beautiful every day, and it's amazing to see how far she has come in just one year. You would never know she had to fight so hard when she came into this world! You should be so proud. :)
I'm thrilled for you that you've made it to 32 weeks, can't wait to see (full term) Avery!
Samantha said... 6:02 PM, July 07, 2010
Thank you for the update. We are THRILLED to hear that sweet Avery is still in the "oven"!! I emailed Chaney yesterday asking if she had an update. Keep on doing what you are doing because it is working!! We are praying for you all!!
Anonymous said... 8:10 PM, July 08, 2010
And; P.S. Sayla Grace is PRECIOUS BEAUTIFUL!! That 4th of July dress is DARLING!!!
Handey & Nathan Oddo
Anonymous said... 8:12 PM, July 08, 2010
Hi! I'm Jason Badyrka's wife, follow your blog though Samantha Stowes blog, and have heard all about Sayla's story through Hoover friends. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy with Avery, gorgeous names by the way! Sounds as if everything is going smoothly thus far! Thinking about you and your family! -Morgan Badyrka
Anonymous said... 10:33 AM, July 09, 2010
Post a Comment