July 9, 2010

Burrito Blankie

Sayla Grace has a beautiful blankie that was given to her by her Great Grandmother Marcia. The blankie was hand crocheted by Great Grandmother's church members, and is called a prayer blanket. During the process of making it, it was prayed over. And when it was finally finished, it was again prayed over by those that made it.

Not only is it special for the prayer it received, but it is special because when I was a baby, my Great Grandmother hand crocheted a blankie for me. And it just so happened that my blankie, and Sayla Grace's blankie are the exact same colors.

I was very attached to mine. So attached that Grandma TT (my great grandmother) had to make me a smaller version just so I would have something to take with me everywhere I went. I once left the small version in the bathroom at Opryland...and it was gone forever. I was devastated, but TT made me another. I remember sitting on her lap while she made it, just waiting for it to be finished.

The big version of my blankie finally ended up in a few different pieces, but I still have them. It is very special to me.

Sayla Grace came home from the hospital wrapped in hers. And she's been attached to it ever since. I have always let her sleep with it, and when she gets out of her crib, she grabs it. If she doesn't have it, she'll turn around and look back into her crib, leaning towards it. It's especially helpful when she's upset, or tired. Ever since she figured out how to turn on her side, she would grab her blankie and snuggle so tight with it. It's quite adorable to watch.

Well, unfortunately, blankie is no longer allowed in the crib with her. You see, she now knows how to roll around like a little floppy fish, and 3 times now she has wrapped herself in her blankie like a burrito while sleeping.

Last night was the final wrapping. I had finally fallen asleep after getting really into my book, and I was awoken by a strange noise. At first I couldn't make out the noise, but then I figured out it was her crying (through 2 closed doors and across the hall). Normally I just lie there and wait for her Grandma Joyce to get up and get her, but for some reason, this time I popped up out of bed. I had to pee REALLY bad, but something told me to wait. I didn't even grab my glasses.

So with a full pregnant bladder and half blind, I went straight into her room, and was so thankful I didn't stop for anything. She had managed to wrap just her head at least 4 times in her blankie, and was struggling to get out of it, but couldn't figure out how. She was on her tummy, trying to lift her head, but the blankie was making it difficult.

Once I unwrapped her, and took the blankie from her crib, she rolled over and smiled the biggest grin! And then she just wanted to play!! Silly rascal! She scared me half to death, and she thought it was funny! Joyce then came in to take over, and help put her back to sleep (since I can't lift her).

I've decided I'm going to make her a smaller version of her blankie, just like my Grandma TT did for me. I figure I've got some time!! And once she gets big enough to know how to handle her blankie in bed, she can have it back.

But for now, it's bye bye blankie in bed!


0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home